Many Dimensions & More Many Dimensions & More & More & More & More

Wednesday, January 7

The Creative Brief- By Danish Khan

The other day I was at a meeting at an advertising agency for the production of an advertising film. The creative director looked me up an down derisively. I am sure he was thinking "this guy may be a film maker but he is definitely not creative".
When I got back home I was sure I had lost the film. I sat down all by myself with an ochre light bulb as my companion. The only thing playing on my mind was 'I am not creative...I am not creative'. I tossed and turned but I could not sleep..because I was not CREATIVE! I was about to cry when sleep overtook me. I do not know when the creative bug bit me. When I got up I was surprised my room had changed..it had more color..there were more books...more magazines..more 'black books'...more CDS with reference films on them and expensive Havana cigars strewn all around! I stretched and yawned and ran my hand over my face. Overnight I had grown a long beard! I ran to the mirror to look at myself. There I was ! But was that really me!!My beard had grown, my hair had grown and what was that shining in my earlobe? A diamond stud? I screamed, I shouted, I danced around. I wanted everyone to know I had become CREATIVE!!!
Armed with creative confidence with a cigar clenched between my teeth, I went back to the agency. I thought perhaps with my new found 'visible creative references' I might be able to swing the deal.Everyone right from the peon to the despatch boy to the creative director looked at me with pitiful eyes. I was confused. The creative director looked me up and down scorfully, and told me "Don't be so desperate to be creative. I can see that you are still living in the past. You know the the rules of creativity change everyday? Yesterday's Ghalib is today's Gulzar. Today you can be truly creative if you get your picture printed in the nude. In fact if you are creative you should have nothing to hide. But as I told you earlier the rules change everyday...by the time you get your picture in the nude there might be something else like..like..." I quickly added "...fornication..". The creative director jumped out of his seat and started shouting , everyone in the agency could hear him "..yes..fornication..fornication...Yes! Yes!My agency will be there in all the newspapers, magazines..my agency will win all the awards....imagine the free publicity we will get..In fact before we make a presentation we will show an audio visual with all of us fornicating..could you shoot us fornicating? Man you are a genius..you are truly creative!" The cigar just didn't taste right. I was about to throw it away in the dustbin, but I stopped short. Mybe I could put it to better use......

No comments:

The Salvation- by Aziz Qaisi

In the doorway of thoughtful night
My shadow barred my way and said
"The image that you created,
Decorated, and gave form, the soul,
Has your eyes.
You live for that image.
The image is your name,
Your body and your existence.
Without it you do not exist.
You'are the captive of your own creation".

One day, with the adze of fatihlessness,
Leaving creation for personification,
Leaving one horizon for a new,
Leaving belief for superstition,
I smashed the image,
Now,
There is no form, no voice, no sound,
Nothing, except a feeling of emptiness,
Nothing, except the darkness of non-existence.


I asked my shadow:
"Under my feet lie the ruins of my image;
My eyes are lost in it;
Please find them for me".

But in reply,
A silence seem to say,
"There are no ruins here,
No shadow here'
Not even you"

If this is salvation,
Then what is the punishment for life?